Flagler Hospital was located on the bay front just below South Street. Opened in 1890, it would be gutted by fire in 1916. The newly-rebuilt structure would open in 1921. By the late 1980s, the area’s growing population made this facility too small and its location made it difficult to access. In 1989, Flagler Hospital moved to a new waterfront location on US 1 south of town. The original hospital property was sold and replaced with a condominium complex.
Photo courtesy of the Jacksonville Public Library postcard collection.