The church that is now the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine was not built until after the American Revolution and Florida returned to Spanish control. Previous parish churches were destroyed during British attacks. The first Mass in this church was celebrated for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 1797. It wasn’t until 1870 when the Diocese of St. Augustine was created that this church would become the Cathedral for the new diocese. Unfortunately, a fire in 1887 would destroy this church too, but a nationwide fund-raising campaign rebuilt it with the additions of transcepts and the bell tower seen here.