Located on the site of an early Franciscan mission for local Indians, Tolomato Cemetery is one of St. Augustine’s historic cemeteries with graves dating back to the 18th century. During the British period a number of refugees from a failed settlement near New Smyrna arrived in St. Augustine. Being mostly Catholic, they needed a proper place to bury their dead. Father Pedro Camps, their priest, requested and was granted use of the old mission as a cemetery. It would remain a cemetery until 1884 when all cemeteries within the city limits were closed.