Lost St. Augustine: Railway YMCA

YMCA postcardThis YMCA was built by Henry Flagler at the corner of Valencia and Riberia Streets.  Located about halfway between the Ponce de Leon hotel and the railway station, it served the residents of St. Augustine as well as the winter visitors. The meeting rooms, gym Рand later the pool Рserved the community for decades until it was sold to Flagler College and demolished to be replaced with tennis courts for the students.

Postcard courtesy of the Florida Memory Project. 

pc3582
Image

Old St. George Street

St. George Street postcard
An early 20th century postcard showing the north end of St. George Street and the City Gates. The small frame building on the left is now known as The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse.

This building first appeared on tax rolls in 1716 and was owned by Juan Genoply. It is built of red cedar and bald cypress using wooden pins and iron spikes to hold it together. It is open to the public daily except Christmas Day.

Sources: The Florida Memory Project and Wikipedia.