Image

Old St. George Street

St. George Street postcard
An early 20th century postcard showing the north end of St. George Street and the City Gates. The small frame building on the left is now known as The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse.

This building first appeared on tax rolls in 1716 and was owned by Juan Genoply. It is built of red cedar and bald cypress using wooden pins and iron spikes to hold it together. It is open to the public daily except Christmas Day.

Sources: The Florida Memory Project and Wikipedia.

Image

Villa Flora

Villa Flora

Located on St. George Street just a couple blocks south of the plaza, Villa Flora began life as a winter residence for a Baptist minister from Minneapolis. Later it would become a small hotel and then a restaurant. In 1940 the Sisters of St. Joseph purchased the property and it became home to Sister Patrick Theresa’s kindergarten where many local children began their education.

Postcard from the author’s personal collection.