Sometime back, part of Araquay Park was annexed to expand the airport. This is one of the remnants of the old neighborhood.
Millions come to Florida — and never see it. Take the by-ways, drop into quiet little towns where neon does not yet hide the stars, visit the Suwanee and the upper St. Johns, cruise up the St. Lucie. Be able to say, “We saw the real Florida.” Ernest Lyons
Source for quote: The Book of Florida Wisdom by Criswell Freeman
Beach houses line the southern side of Matanzas Inlet just inside the bridge. This idyllic scene gives no clue as to why this inlet is named Matanzas – the Spanish word for slaughter. It was here in 1565 where the Spanish soldiers would massacre their French Huguenot enemy to protect the new settlement of St. Augustine.
are deposited the remains of
Coln. CHARLES W. BULOW
of Charleston So. Ca.
who died on the 1st of May
aged 44 years.
A prominent native of Charleston, South Carolina, Bulow came to Florida during the transfer of government from Spain to the United States. He purchased more than 4,000 acres about 30 miles south of St. Augustine where he raised sugar cane, cotton, indigo and rice. He also owned a house on the bayfront in St. Augustine.
Col. Bulow did not get to enjoy watching his holdings grow and prosper because he died in 1823 (May 1st on his grave, but May 7th in his published obituary). His son, John, who was 17 and studying in Paris at the time of his father’s death, would take over the Florida enterprise and turn it into the largest sugar mill in east Florida. In 1836, the plantation was destroyed by Seminole Indians.
Today it is protected as Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park – part of Florida’s state park system.